Friday, September 05, 2008

VALENTINE'S DAY Opens in the Philly Fringe

As part of the project, Mittens Descending and Other Tales, my short one-act play, Valentine's Day, opens on Friday, September 5th and runs for four performances this weekend. Heck yeah.

I've had a good time working with The Burn Ward Theater Company as they've proven to be a talented, resourceful, creative, lovely group of young theater artists. I am happy to be getting to know them and their work.

I've also enjoyed my continued collaboration with director Andrew J. Merkel and thank actress Molly Casey for her brave work in the role of the suicidal, rollerskating, pizza-making, hula-hooping character, "Opal".

I always welcome a new process, as each time I work on my plays I discover something new about them and find ways to make them stronger and braver. This process has been no different, and I thank Andy, Molly, (production designer) Cherie A. Roberts, and The Burn Ward, for continuing to teach me about the play, for helping me find the play's guts, and for making clear where the stronger choices were inside of the work.

I look forward to the performances and hope to continue a friendship with everyone involved.

Details about the production below:

..............................................................................

Mittens Descending and Other Tales
Friday, September 5th, 7:00 pm and 10:00 pm
Saturday, September 6th, 7:00 pm and 10:00 pm

Plays and Players Theater
1714 Delancey St
Philadelphia PA

The PLAYS:

Mittens Descending by Eamon R. McIvor
A tale of bipolar rocker Lenny. Lenny has just been dumped by his goth chic girlfriend, Rebecca. He's hell-bent on getting her back, so he enlists the help of his childhood imaginary friend, a militaristic cat named Mittens. It's "Harvey" meets "Hot Topic" in this demented tale about the redeeming power of creepy love.

Big Red Button by Eamon R. McIvor
A short play about what really happens if you press the infamous big red button.

Valentine’s Day by Greg Romero
Opal decides every Valentine's Day if she's going to kill herself. This year, she makes lists, she makes pizzas, she rollerskates, and she's afraid of hula-hoops.

To purchase tickets or for more information, click HERE

...............................

Rock on,

ROMERO