Monday, July 14, 2008

PlayPenn, Dramaturgy, and Breadcrumbs

I returned to Philadelphia at 5am, Thursday July 10th, from my gig at the Eugene O'Neill National Theater Institute. After an outstanding three and a half weeks working as the Playwriting Faculty for the TheaterMakers program, I began a new gig the very next day. Times are good.

After a wonderful weekend "retreat", in which the playwrights, dramaturgs, directors, and interns of the PlayPenn New Play Development Conference got to know each other, each other's work, and learn each other's drinking habits, we began rehearsals today (July 14th), officially launching the two-week new play development process for six new works.

This is a really strong group of artists, and wonderful people to boot. I continue to feel very fortunate about the opportunities I have been given and will continue to do my best to enjoy them as much as possible.

Specifically, I am the dramaturg assigned to Jennifer Haley's play, Breadcrumbs, which is a beautiful new play about a writer struggling with Alzheimer's, the young woman who tries to care for her, the fluidity of memory and our journey, as humans, to find our purpose in a very confusing and strange world. Plus, these stories are told through a fractured framework of fairy tales and gingerbread houses.

I like our creative team very much (Jennifer Haley, playwright; Katie Pearl, director) and am beyond impressed with the collection of talent gathered at this conference. I am encouraged by the continued impact that the PlayPenn Conference will have in the city of Philadelphia and on the theater community at-large.

Rock on,


ROMERO