Thursday, August 09, 2007

Call Me Teacher

This bit of good news shows up in the recent newsletter sent out by the University of the Arts in Philadelphia:

Greg Romero will be teaching Survey of Theatre, having recently located from Austin Texas. Greg has an MFA in Theatre (Playwriting); University of Texas-Austin. His play "The Most Beautiful Lullaby You've Ever Heard" recently closed Off-Off Broadway.

How 'bout that?

Later this month, I'll begin teaching at University of the Arts, landing a teaching gig with my very FIRST application (awesome!). I feel lucky and thrilled to be part of the program at University of the Arts. I've met a couple of their alumni (both are working actors in Philadelphia-- one of which is working with me on The Milky Way Cabaret) and have been impressed with their talent, professionalism and big hearts. From all accounts, U/Arts seems to be doing alot of things right, and I look forward to engaging with this institution as a participant of something I can believe in.

I'm very much looking forward to this teaching experience-- it will be a wonderful opportunity to continue to explore my own dynamics and questions as a teacher. It will be an opportunity to bring my energy to the academy while continuing to work as much as I can as a professional.

It is my hope that I will continue to find ways to engage with my students as much as possible-- to continue to find ways to make learning as enjoyable and as rewarding an experience as possible for those who take on my class.

In short-- it is my hope to continue to bring my passions into the classroom and to listen and learn from the passions of my students.

And lastly-- big big thank yous to Gene Terruso, Director of the School of Theatre Arts, for taking a risk hiring me.

Good times.


Rock on,

ROMERO